This is my own manifest on how I think today’s CMS should be architectured. I need to find a proper name on the idea and/or possibly join one of the project that exists. If you understand french, I created the equivalent post on that page.
- Data extraction layer, takes from… xml, rss, github, wordpress database, drupal database, REST service and pass to layer 2
- Data filtering, normalization and serialization. Providing adapters for normalization, caching, and expose a gateway for third layer
- Content transportation layer of normalized/serialized content transport mechanism
- (need to coin term here) “Container” providing:
- Placeholders for content coming from layer 3
- Automated creation of HTML blocks and patterns following semantic markup and accessibility principles
- Logicless templating for easy usage for integrators who do not need to learn programming
Advantages on that approach
I truly think that with such mechanism, we could adapt content in a semantic manner and be able to abstract content edition, theme.
Much is here to say about it. I am leaving this as it is now and I’ll update relations and ideas as I spend time on it. Contact me if you have questions.